I’m going to share one of my go-to recipes – it’s super simple, doesn’t require any exotic ingredients, and is very yummy. I use up whatever frozen vegetables I have on-hand and sometimes reduce the amount of meat and just add more vegetables. Please let me know if you try this and how you like it.
Hash Brown Beef Pie
1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes with juice
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste if desired)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
3 cups frozen hashbrown potatoes, thawed OR
3 cups peeled potatoes, grated
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, brown beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in vegetables.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. pie plate or 8″ x 8″ dish.
- Combine topping ingredients; spoon evenly over the meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home, Mina Dyck
Photo courtesy of Taste of Home